Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22535083

berdeen manager Derek McInnes is hopeful of persuading top scorer Niall McGinn to extend his contract at Pittodrie beyond next summer.

McInnes is looking to reshape the side he inherited in March by releasing 11 players at the end of the season .

But the McGinn's 22 goals this season, which led to an appearance on the PFA Scotland player of the year shortlist, are seen as key for McInnes.

And he plans to talk to the 25-year-old's agent in the coming weeks.

McGinn signed a two-year contract with the Dons when he joined after leaving Celtic, who had sent him on loan to Brentford, in July 2012.

And former manager Craig Brown successfully switched the Northern Ireland international from the wing to a central attacking role.

"Niall is really enjoying being at Aberdeen," said McInnes. "If I take him at his word, he's really enjoying working with us and he is well thought-of and highly regarded at the club.

"Hopefully, that in turn will be good for us and we can maybe extend his contract.

"We will be trying to do that and speak with him and his agent over the course of the next few weeks."

McInnes said releasing players out of contract would help as he looked to add more quality signings like McGinn .

"We need a few more like that at Aberdeen," he said.

"Keeping players like Niall and bringing in a few of a similar quality is our aim going forward."

McInnes was also hopeful that Jonny Hayes, having spent a year at Pittodrie, would rediscover the form that made the Irish winger such a threat with Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

"He's a player that I tried to take to St Johnstone, like Niall McGinn, and I was delighted to know that he was here," added the Dons manager of the player who joined the club last summer.

"It is all being well being a main player at Inverness and the likes, but I think it's another thing again to deal with the expectation of being a key player for Aberdeen.

"And we're hoping that Jonny, in his second year, having settled, can produce something similar to what he is capable of and shown in the past.

"That is the challenge for me and him to do that week-in, week-out."

One of two things will happen.

1. Niall will say "LOL no thx"

OR 2. Niall will sign after a long, drawn out wage saga and then turn to pish.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't sign despite long drawn out speculation in the press, and will be sold in a cut price deal in January. Then he'll be replaced with Dazzling Darren Mackie on loan until the end of next season.

Happy fucking days.

I expect him to sign for another 3 years with little fuss. Then he and Hayes will guide us to our first trophies (yes plural) for nearly 20 years.

COYR

You pissed this early in the day o'er your side of the canal ;)

Fucking top banana, what a star. To have a season like that and sign on so quickly, with so little fuss, speaks volumes about the man.

Some of the other over hyped arseholes (yes Ryan Fraser I mean you) would do well to take note.

My new favourite dons player, Niall McGinn.  ;D

Fucking top banana, what a star. To have a season like that and sign on so quickly, with so little fuss, speaks volumes about the man.

Some of the other over hyped arseholes (yes Ryan Fraser I mean you) would do well to take note.

My new favourite dons player, Niall McGinn.  ;D

Not to take anything away form Niall but I dare say we made him a very good offer.

Well done to the board as I dare say we've broken the bank for this.  :thumbsup:

Now we just need Mr. McGinn to carry on from where he's left off goal-scoring-wise.

Not to take anything away form Niall but I dare say we made him a very good offer.

Well done to the board as I dare say we've broken the bank for this.  :thumbsup:

Now we just need Mr. McGinn to carry on from where he's left off goal-scoring-wise.

You dare say a lot for one person.

How very dare you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHNiow1_03KS758QnLreSXZw-3GIAWGxy2JFBE8SMxc6XFcm_hyg

Great news, took me by surprise as it bucks the recent trend of players at Scottish club fecking off after a decent season. Boy said he enjoys living in the city and playing for the team and he's proved it. Well done Son  :thumbsup: