Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Pubs in London

Ooft, you may struggle tbh.  But there is always the O'Neils or Euston Flyer which are right across from Kings X / the British library.  As horrible as they are, they may be your best bet i'm afraid!  There are also a couple of other timmy style pubs in the area, The Boot and The Skinners Arms are on Judd street and around the corner from Oneils.

• 3 years later...

My wife and I are doing our annual November London trip and I've been in receipt of a great e-mail about the best "gastro pubs", whatever the fuck that means.

We are staying at the Savoy so will engage with one or more of their eateries, we're at the Caravan Palace at Brixton Academy so we're looking for some inspirational recommendations.

La Famiglia is getting hit one of the nights. Bob Bob Ricard won't be. Any inspired recs welcome.

http://www.thetruscottarms.com/index

Just make sure you turn the right way as you leave the subway station.

Like the fact it's independent. Like the fact it's fairly new. But I wonder if they're trying too hard with their menus? I'm always suspicious of innovation just for the sake of it. Not saying they are but too often chefs will try too hard to stand out from the crowd by their ingredients-deployment rather than preparation-quality.

I thought it might have been pronounced "true scot" at first glance but I reckon it's "truss".

Depending where you are in London, but say if you're in and around the Hyde Park area, i'd check out New Quebec street. Excellent bar restaurant called the Grazing Goat (also has a sister place near Victoria called the Orange, also very good). There is also a cracking Basque restaurant on the same street called Donostia.  Not cheap, but still, excellent food and brilliant wine list.

For Japanese, around Covent Garden there is Sticks and Sushi, always had excellent service and food there.  Further up the price range is Roku which is one of the top 10 restaurants in London at the moment.  We went the other day (with a voucher) but the sashimi was some of the best i've had in a long time.

If you let me know roughly where you think you'll mainly be based I can provide a few more!

If you're after a curry, Dishoom is very good. There are a few of them located around London (7 dials, Kings X and Shoreditch).

Thanks for recs. Will check them out online.

London's so easy to get around it doesn't really matter where they are. We're going to the Brixton Academy for the Caravan Palace gig, will no doubt see what's on at the Tate Modern and RA so will be Oyster carding all over the shop. Will probably dine at the hotel a few times, given the great varied choices. There for 4 days and 3 nights so that gives us plenty opportunities to explore gastronomic excellence.

Did you ever get to La Famiglia which I recommended last year? It was tremendous and half the price of Bob Bob Ricard, which was very disappointing. And do you know the Punchbowl in Mayfair?

Thanks for recs. Will check them out online.

London's so easy to get around it doesn't really matter where they are. We're going to the Brixton Academy for the Caravan Palace gig, will no doubt see what's on at the Tate Modern and RA so will be Oyster carding all over the shop. Will probably dine at the hotel a few times, given the great varied choices. There for 4 days and 3 nights so that gives us plenty opportunities to explore gastronomic excellence.

Did you ever get to La Famiglia which I recommended last year? It was tremendous and half the price of Bob Bob Ricard, which was very disappointing. And do you know the Punchbowl in Mayfair?

La famiglia is on the list, but we've not actually been in and around London much this year.  Yeah i've been tot eh punch bowl good pub, though I've never eaten there. Same could be said the Lady Ottoline, although that might be a bit out of your way.  Lambs Conduit Street, around the corner from there has lots of bars, restaurants and cafes.  The Lamb is a decent boozer.

If you're going to the RA, I would recommend those places i've mentioned in the previous post.  Also, Princi's is an italian cafe, awesome selection of cakes and good coffee! Quite often filled with Italians so must be a good sign.

Will ask my sister about Brixton as the places I go to probably aren't the places you'll be looking for.  The only pubs I remember are the Craft Beer Co, Duke of Edinburgh (nice beer garden if the weather is decent) and Dogstar.

• 2 weeks later...