mizer

Strachan names squad for qualifying double-header

Thursday, 07 March 2013

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Qualifiers

Scotland v Wales

Friday, 22 March 2012, kick-off 8pm

Hampden Park, Glasgow

Serbia v Scotland

Tuesday, 26 March 2012, kick-off 8.30pm (local time)

Karadorde Stadium, Novi Sad

Scotland national coach Gordon Strachan has added three new recruits for the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Qualifying double-header against Wales and Serbia this month.

Gary Mackay-Steven has been rewarded for his scinitllating displays at Dundee United with a call-up.

Subject to Scottish FA clearance, Brighton and Hove Albion’s holding midfielder, Liam Bridcutt, will also been included, to counterbalance the loss of captain Darren Fletcher and the Celtic midfielder, Scott Brown.

George Boyd has also made it into his first A squad, with the Hull City forward in fine form under Steve Bruce. Boyd played and scored for Scotland B in a 3-0 win against Northern Ireland in 2009.

“Gary Mackay-Steven has been terrific this season and I think it is only right that we recognise young Scottish talent,” said Gordon. “Liam is a player I have known for a while and is highly regarded in the holding midfield position.

“Again, George is a player I have watched for years – I tried to sign him at Middlesbrough – and is in good form at Hull City.”

Scotland squad:

Goalkeepers

Matt Gilks (Blackpool)                                         

David Marshall (Cardiff City)                               

Allan McGregor (Besiktas) 

Defenders

Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 

Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic) 

Daniel Fox (Southampton)   

Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers) 

Alan Hutton (Real Mallorca) 

Russell Martin (Norwich City) 

Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)     

Andy Webster (Heart of Midlothian)

Midfielders

Charlie Adam (Stoke City) 

Liam Bridcutt (Brighton and Hove Albion) 

Chris Burke (Birmingham City) 

Kris Commons (Celtic) 

Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion) 

James Forrest (Celtic) 

Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United) 

James McArthur (Wigan Athletic) 

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion) 

Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City) 

Forwards

George Boyd (Hull City) 

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)                               

Ross McCormack (Leeds United)     

Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic) 

Kenny Miller (Vancouver Whitecaps) 

Steven Naismith (Everton) 

Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Boyd in front of Griffiths.......very controversial!

International career  England C Boyd was called up for the England C team in October 2005 and played in a European Challenge Trophy game against Belgium U23.[140] He subsequently played in two more games in the same competition. He played against Italy in February 2006.[141] He then scored his first goal for England C in a 4–1 win against a Holland XI in November 2006 in the final game of the competition.[142] Boyd made a further four appearances for Paul Fairclough's side at the end of the 2006–07 campaign, before his subsequent move to Peterborough made him ineligible to play in England C matches.[143]

Scotland B In April 2009, Boyd was called up for the Scotland B side, after obtaining proof his maternal grandfather was born in Glasgow.[144][145] Boyd started and subsequently scored in a 3–0 victory against a Northern Ireland B side, scoring the second goal of the game,[146] giving a performance described as containing "flair and commitment"

Failry clutch as straws with a grandfather born in Scotland...

Cheers buddy  :thumbsup:

You heading over for the game?

Didnt think I would get a ticket given the number of people with more points than me and the tiny stadium so never even requested the holiday - but there was a good chance I would have not been allowed it as we are so busy. No point in requesting it now as work scheduled and boss booked off on holiday on overlapping week - at least I have next Friday off for the Wales game. Are you going?

Didnt think I would get a ticket given the number of people with more points than me and the tiny stadium so never even requested the holiday - but there was a good chance I would have not been allowed it as we are so busy. No point in requesting it now as work scheduled and boss booked off on holiday on overlapping week - at least I have next Friday off for the Wales game. Are you going?

In a word, yes!

Gareth Bale has not travelled with the Wales squad for their World Cup qualifier with Scotland.

STV understands the Tottenham Hotspur forward has been left behind in Cardiff, although it is not yet known why he has failed to travel to Glasgow.

Bale has been struggling with an ankle injury and missed Wales training on Wednesday.

The Welsh FA were unavailable for immediate comment when contacted on Thursday.

Bale scored both goals as Chris Coleman's side came from behind to defeat Scotland 2-1 in Cardiff last year.

Regarded as one of the most in-form players in world football, the 23-year-old has scored 21 goals in 36 appearances at club level this season.