Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Experience of alcohol timed ban by Scotrail on your travel

Thought it would be good to have a thread for the season on how this ban has impacted on your travel.

On the way home from Aberdeen to Fife last night was my first experience of this new ban/rule. Got on train that left just after 1900 hrs, met a few Edinburgh bound fans I knew on the train. Conductress/ticket checker or whatever they are called was a crabbit jobsworth from very early in the journey. She quickly verbalised her displeasure at us drinking, this was well before the curfew!

Fortunately for me I had to change train at scumdee, hopefully others made it to Edi without being chucked off by crabbit quine! I was able to drink another cpl of bottles of Miller after 9pm as noone came through to check (albeit I was being discreet and putting btl back in box inbetween swigs!)

Did establish on the way up that it is only Scotrail trains ban applies to. East Coast Trains employee stated "We are very happy to accept people drinking alcohol on our trains at any time"

On a side note, train fares in Scotland to go up by 6.2%

That's good, I was thinking that paying £57 pounds for a single between Edinburgh and Aberdeen was too little.

Scotland has the worst rail service I've experienced in Western Europe, and also the most expensive. I can never figure out how they justify their prices.

That's good, I was thinking that paying £57 pounds for a single between Edinburgh and Aberdeen was too little.

Scotland has the worst rail service I've experienced in Western Europe, and also the most expensive. I can never figure out how they justify their prices.

I was only £5.30 for my ticket to Embra the morn.

Surely the government want to encourage public transport in these environmentally conscious times? With that in mind the push towards having rail users spend more on rail travel and the tax payer less, seems a little odd.

• 5 months later...

The other trick seems to be to share the train back with lower league teams fans.

Having received a verbal warning from a harpy clippie before we'd even boarded the train we only saw her about 2 times from inverness to perth. She seemed to spend most of her Harpy energy on the east fife fans in the next carriage up. Even complemented us on our good behaviour. That may have been down to someones bright idea to purchase a bottle of tequila though. :thumbsup: