Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Rangers, Their Debt & The Socio Model

I was having a think about Spanish socios and the feasibility of Aberdeen doing something similar to bolster revenue (with or without Rangers).

Socios are defined as "...clubs which are run as members’ associations are owned by their socios (paid-up members) and their non-profit nature forces the club to re-invest any profits or revenues gained to commercial activity back into the club. Furthermore, the board of directors is constantly held to account by the members, being required to receive authorisation from the club’s general assembly upon any sale or acquisition of property or economic rights with a value equal to or greater than 20% of the budget, and for any commercial agreement with a length that exceeds five years".

With the caveat of "Members are also able to vote for the club presidents in elections held every five years, incumbents not being able to serve more than two terms".

I appreciate the second part would involve Milne putting himself in the position to ousted after a maximum of ten years which is unlikely so with respect to Aberdeen, this part will be ignored.

Let's assume we have 5,000 (deliberately low, I reckon more would be probable) fans each willing to pay £100 a year (lump or direct debit) to be used for football / infrastructure  improvements only. This would mean an extra £500,000 a year on to the football budget or roughly £40,000 a month that could be used on wages (assume no transfer fees paid). Money like that could be used to sign players of sufficient quality to finish at least 2nd.

Obviously there would be some extra benefits to sweeten the deal (membership packs, card, priority tickets, scarf or whatever else).

It doesn't sound unreasonable.

Which then got me thinking about Rangers. Surely they have enough fans capable of paying money to pay off the debt with an initially high membership fee (£500, cheaper thereafter) and install a true socio model with an elected chairman and board etc?

It wouldn't be that hard to set up. A website with a payment system that guaranteed refunds if not enough is gathered. Executive salaries slashed and bring in people to run the club properly.

I appreciate this might not be a popular post but I hope it prompts discussion, even if it's only about what benefits / practicality it could have for us.

Discuss.

Dunno if this is a desperate attempt to stimulate debate, any activity, but it sounds like shite to me.

What a fucking waste of time reading that lot of ill-thought out garbage.

Just musing, no need to get so offended.

Also, I'm not saying it would work either.

If you think it's shite, you could bring an explanation to the table and maybe we might just have an interesting thread.

Not offended. Just impossible to begin a debate when the OP is so utterly devoid of substance.

Inarticulate thick shite like this should be deleted in basic fundamental quality control.

It's a football forum, I'm hardly going to prepare a dissertation on the matter.

The latter could be said for > 95% (generous) of your posts.

:thumbsup:

Not offended. Just impossible to begin a debate when the OP is so utterly devoid of substance.

Inarticulate thick shite like this should be deleted in basic fundamental quality control.

R_S, in 2157 posts and counting, I have yet to see you add 1 useful or interesting thing to this board.

If you were to apply your brand of abusive cynacism to your own contribution to donstalk, maybe next time you sat down at your keyboard you just wouldn't bother, and make the site if not the world a slightly better place.