Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dodgy goings on

Preston boss Westley claims four players leaked team and tactics

By Jimmy Smallwood BBC Sport

Preston boss Graham Westley has claimed that four of his squad leaked the team's tactics to Sheffield Wednesday ahead of their 2-0 defeat on Saturday.

Continue reading the main story

“When you have got people in your own camp working against you it is tough”

Graham Westley Preston manager

After the game, Westley said the Owls bench had told him that they had known about Preston's line-up and game-plan before kick-off.

The 44-year-old said: "That shows you what we are up against.

"It doesn't surprise me. When you have got people in your own camp working against you it is tough."

The defeat leaves Preston in 16th, just six points off the relegation zone.

"To stand in the dugout today and to be told by [sheffield Wednesday's] dugout that four of our players had given our side to them says where our side is at," he added.

"I have to work on the basis they they wouldn't tell me a lie."

Preston's recent form has been poor, despite the club parting ways with former manager Phil Brown and recruiting Westley as his replacement in the New Year.

Westley took charge at Deepdale after leaving League One rivals Stevenage.

The Lilywhites have won just three games out of 17 played in 2012, though Westley insists he can guide the side clear of relegation.

"It is the job and I will get on with it, I will overcome it. You have to grit your teeth and be strong."

Preston striker Iain Hume later took to his Twitter account  to deny that he or any of his fellow players leaked team information before Saturday's fixture.

"Can't see [it], and hopefully [i'm] proven right, that any of my team mates would divulge info[rmation] like that," he told BBC Sport.

"We're close and it needs to stay that way!"

Preston's next game is at home to Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday, when Deepdale will pay tribute to club legend Sir Tom Finney who will be celebrating his 90th birthday.