Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

1987 - Hearts lose another final to the Dons

Why did it stop? Was it crap or was it sponsorship?

Tennents pulled out in the early 90s and it stopped then. The huns had stopped turning up to it regularly, probably because they were sponsored by McEwans or perhaps because they didn't want to risk their players getting injured. 

The last one I remember us being in only had 2 or 3 regular first team players in it and I think that's how most teams were playing it by that point.

Tennents pulled out in the early 90s and it stopped then. The huns had stopped turning up to it regularly, probably because they were sponsored by McEwans or perhaps because they didn't want to risk their players getting injured. 

The last one I remember us being in only had 2 or 3 regular first team players in it and I think that's how most teams were playing it by that point.

Makes sense I suppose. Would be decent for the young players now though?

Makes sense I suppose. Would be decent for the young players now though?

Yeah, but if you look at the Dons side there it had a good few experienced, and indeed superb players in Leighton, McLeish, Simmie and McMaster and then the youngsters in Grant, J Miller, Porteous, Wright, Robertson and Mitchell.  All the youngsters had played for the first team by that point, but I think the balance between the big names and the youngsters is vital for the long term success of a tournament like that, and I just don't see teams risking it these days.