Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Atheism

mizer

An Indonesian man who said that God did not exist in a posting on a Facebook page for atheists could face jail.

Civil servant Alexander Aan, 31, is now in protective police custody after he was attacked by an angry mob earlier this week.

He may also lose his job over his posting on the social networking site.

Atheism is a violation of Indonesian law under the founding principles of the country.

Indonesia - the world's most populous Muslim nation - recognises the right to practice five other religions aside from Islam, says the BBC's Karishma Vaswani in Jakarta.

Local media said a mob attacked Mr Aan when he arrived for work at a government office on Wednesday.

Police said that according to Indonesian criminal law, anyone who tried to stop others believing in a faith could face up to five years in prison

The Facebook page where he made his comments remains up and supporters have condemned police action against Mr An, calling for him to be released.

**Geography fail edit**

Kuala Lumpur is in Malaysia  ???

I've an Indonesian mate - He's nae religious at all and still bides there - mind he told me his family were Christians and he himself has a muslim name cos his folks thought he'd get on better that way.

What is it that scares religious folk so much that other folk might see through the lies? Religious cunts are fucked up... maybe I'll post that to my mate's facebook for a laugh  ;D

If religous freaks are so fuckin devout - seeing other non-religious folk shouldn't have any bearing on their lives.

Fuckin religous indonesian weirdos - make an affa good Satay and Nasi Goreng though  :P

Cheers for pointing out my mistake  :doh:

Kuala Lumpur is in Malaysia  ???

What is it that scares religious folk so much that other folk might see through the lies?

Uber religious types will base their entire lifestyle, values, morals etc on whatever faith they choose or happen to be brought up in. However it is based on 'faith' and not 'fact' and my theory is in the back of their minds they hold a dark fear that one day someone will find either proof that all religion is a sham or that there is a god but it happens to be the one from a religion you dont follow. Sort of like the matrix would everyone of us have the strength of mind to survive the knowledge that your entire life has been based on a lie?

Quote from the film Dogma

'“I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea.  Changing a belief is trickier.  Life should be malleable and progressive, working from idea to idea permits that.  Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth.  New ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.”

'

Uber religious types will base their entire lifestyle, values, morals etc on whatever faith they choose or happen to be brought up in. However it is based on 'faith' and not 'fact' and my theory is in the back of their minds they hold a dark fear that one day someone will find either proof that all religion is a sham or that there is a god but it happens to be the one from a religion you dont follow. Sort of like the matrix would everyone of us have the strength of mind to survive the knowledge that your entire life has been based on a lie?

Quote from the film Dogma

'“I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea.  Changing a belief is trickier.  Life should be malleable and progressive, working from idea to idea permits that.  Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth.  New ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant.”

'

I really liked what the BHA put up on buses around london a few years ago

"God probably doesn't exist, stop worrying about it and enjoy your life"

Peaceful, positive and accurate.  I really do struggle to think of a religious message that ticks all those boxes though that's not to say one doesn't exist

I really liked what the BHA put up on buses around london a few years ago

"God probably doesn't exist, stop worrying about it and enjoy your life"

Peaceful, positive and accurate.  I really do struggle to think of a religious message that ticks all those boxes though that's not to say one doesn't exist

My Problem with that is that its still a message! Still Preaching! As soon as someone tries to tell me what to believe, I'm out. I've seen a few things on facebook now and various other non-important places with Atheist Zealots trying to tell me what to think. I can do that for myself thank you very much. Worst one was even tagged as 'free thinkers', sorry but if you are posting the ramblings of some guy telling you what to think then you aint a free thinker.

Make up your own minds folks don't listen to anybody telling you what to think!

Whilst i know what you mean its not exactly the same as being preached at.  That message wasnt trying to make anyone feel guilty, wasnt trying to indoctrinate anyone or put anyone else down.  It was inherently positive and encouraged freedom of thought and choice which is a far cry from believe what i do or you will burn in hell

My Problem with that is that its still a message! Still Preaching! As soon as someone tries to tell me what to believe, I'm out. I've seen a few things on facebook now and various other non-important places with Atheist Zealots trying to tell me what to think. I can do that for myself thank you very much. Worst one was even tagged as 'free thinkers', sorry but if you are posting the ramblings of some guy telling you what to think then you aint a free thinker.

Stop telling us what to think.

But why can't they (we, him) let people enjoy their lives no matter what  they believe!??

It is a type of preaching because it's trying to tell folk who do believe in something that its not correct to do so!

I aint a believer, I'm not religious in any way, but I want to make up MY mind about that, i don't want to be told what to believe, or how to behave! To me there is no difference between the BHA and the Church. Its still an orginisation that uses peoples beliefs to collect money to become a bigger organisation so that it can tell more folk to believe what they believe!

I don't like Organised religion. I object to organised Atheism!

Seems what others do or believe and how they express that gets you a little more annoyed than it should.

In short, God probably doesn't exist, stop worrying about it and enjoy your life.

What if you don't want to enjoy you life though?

What if you are Tom Widdows?

???

Problem 1 is definition e.g. what do we mean by "god"?

Problem 2 is interpretation, and

Problem 3 is capacity to think or comprehend.

Mix in a various bunch of people with a various bunch of conditioning then you're really fucked.

I hate all organised religions - although some Buddhist and Zen stuff is quite cool, AND

I hate atheism.

I hate believers basically.

Not preaching nihilism here, just the need to keep an open mind.

In fact, I'm not preaching at all. I don't give a fuck what others think, both in method and content.

Love nature, even the "ugliness" within nature, love love, love life and every little ting gonna be aw right.

In the context, the only thing more boring and infinitely more nauseating than the God squad is the anti-God squad. 

And that's saying an awful lot.

whole thing is a chronic waste of everyone's time.

Including this post, not surprisingly.

whole thing is a chronic waste of everyone's time.

Including this post, not surprisingly.

I take it you mean your own post, like in a self deprecating stand of viewingness point?

Rather than saying mini59's post was a chronic waste of time?

Which would be insulting. His post was ace. In fact I preach that his post was, in fact, ace.

And there is potential ambiguum when you look at it this way, I'm sure you'd agree.

Pretty sure we're all in accord, one giant wave of spiritual togetherness, washing towards the sands of time in blissful harmony.

Religion is like politics as far as I'm concerned.  They're both run by boring bastards telling you what you can and cannot do.  Neither of which I have enough time or energy to be arsed with in my day to day life.

The Ten Commandments aren't a bad set of guidelines though.  Well I say Ten but I mean Five, once you cut out the religious bullshit.

1. Look after your Mum and Dad.

2. Don't kill anyone.

3. Don't steal.

4. Don't tell fibs.

5. Don't get jealous.

As some comedian once said, I doubt your dietary requirements will come into question when you're standing at the pearly gates.  Same goes for saying sweary words, sticking your pee-pee where you're not supposed to or getting down on your hands and knees twice a day to babble nonsense into a rug.

You make your own luck in life and your karma can be engineered.

The ten commandments are bad by virtue of the definition, commanding the subjects to comply.

Catholic deadly sins were a better model but their consequences-attachment was flawed.

Sloth, pride, gluttony and greed are all fucked up states of being.

So is homosexuality but as long as they keep themselves to themselves, it won't bother me.