Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Carling Nations Cup Won't Be Back

Stewart Regan has said that the Carling Nations Cup tournament was a failure and is unlikely to return.

Scotland played against Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland in the event, which was played in Dublin in 2011.

Though planned to be a replacement for the Home Internationals, with hopes that England may consider joining future tournaments, the matches failed to capture public interest and crowds were low.

Initially intended to take place every two years, Northern Ireland had already indicated that they were not interested in taking part again.

Now, Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan has said that he thinks the competition is gone for good.

“There were loose discussions about a future tournament but we signed up for one only with our terms and conditions attached,” Regan said.

“There isn’t anything in the diary and, given it didn’t go particularly well, I can’t see it coming back.”

Scotland beat Northern Ireland and Wales in the tournament before losing to hosts Republic of Ireland in the final, decisive round-robin match.

No real shock but a shame I think.  It could have been rejigged to have home and away games over a two year period or something rather than all in one city.  Think it was more valuable for the team than friendlies against Cyprus and the Faroes and I had a great time in Dublin (and Belfast) when I headed over.  Can't imagine me bothering to go to any other "friendlies"

No real shock but a shame I think.  It could have been rejigged to have home and away games over a two year period or something rather than all in one city.   Think it was more valuable for the team than friendlies against Cyprus and the Faroes and I had a great time in Dublin (and Belfast) when I headed over.  Can't imagine me bothering to go to any other "friendlies"

Is exactly the way it should have been arranged. However I believe the ROI had said they were not going to be involved if all the games were not played in Dublin.

Agree that it would have given a more competitive edge to friendlies but what would we have learned playing teams of a similar style to ourselves. Friendlies should be about getting the players used to playing against teams who play in a similiar style to those we have in upcoming qualifiers.

Part of the problem was having it in Dublin... abidee knows it's fuckin expensive and is put off.

Should've held it in Scotland first.

Might have helped crowds a bit - but a pretty crappy concept all round.

Hello 2006.

Dublin was very reasonably priced in February/May.

I enjoyed the tournament, a few wee changes to the format and it would have been a great tournament.