Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The most overpriced players in football

mizer

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2012-01-11/most-overpriced-players-football-messi-and-more-players-huge-release-clauses?p=4

Porto president Pinto da Costa is adamant star man Hulk - linked with a move to Chelsea - will not be leaving for less than the staggering £84m release clause he placed in his contract.

Below is a gallery and to find out which player in world football would demand the highest transfer fee, should someone be brave enough to activate it.

5lucas.jpg

He may well be the best central midfielder in world football, but you'd have to be barking mad to fork out £70m for a 31-year-old

4alcantara.jpg

Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal were all interested in Barca's youngster until he signed a new deal in June 2011, upping his minimum fee to over £80m

3hulk.jpg

The Hulk has been described as incredible on more than one occasion, but £84m? Surely no one will be bonkers enough to pay that much for a player who's never played in a top European league

2messi.jpg

The world's most coveted player has a remarkable £225m buy-out clause, which even more remarkably is dwarfed by our next entry...

1ronny.jpg

That's right, £1billion. Get your wallet out Mr Mansour, we want him back in the Premier League!

I'm sure I once read that Spanish law dictates that you need a release clause in every employment contract, which is why the majority of the list play for Spanish teams (the same could be true for Portugal, I can't be arsed checking).  I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sign players for substantially less money in reality, the release fees are so high to make sure the clubs don't get shafted.

I'm sure I once read that Spanish law dictates that you need a release clause in every employment contract, which is why the majority of the list play for Spanish teams (the same could be true for Portugal, I can't be arsed checking).  I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sign players for substantially less money in reality, the release fees are so high to make sure the clubs don't get shafted.

You can't offer a contract in FM unless there is a release clause.