Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Sun: Fans still back me and Dons will NOT sack me

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3987392/Fans-still-back-me-and-Dons-will-NOT-sack-me.html

CRAIG BROWN insists he is in no danger of being sacked despite the Dons currently propping up the SPL table.

Tomorrow marks Brown's first anniversary as Aberdeen boss and they will start the day in a worse position than when he took charge.

His predecessor Mark McGhee was shown the door when the club were above Hamilton Accies on goal difference and through to a League Cup semi-final against Celtic.

One year on they are a point adrift at the bottom and lost at home to East Fife in an early round of the League Cup.

Despite that Brown believes he still has the full backing of the Pittodrie board and just as importantly the majority of the Aberdeen supporters.

The former Scotland and Motherwell manager admits to being embarrassed that a club that has never been relegated are in this position on his watch.

However, he has dismissed as nonsense suggestions that he could be on his way out if there's not an immediate improvement in results.

Brown insisted: "Duncan Fraser is the chief executive here and all we have been talking about is potential signings and those we want to resign.

"I don't think we are working towards that if there are problems. They are honorable enough here just to say cheerio if they think you are not good enough.

"It only puts negative ideas in peoples' heads if you talk about a manager being under pressure.

"I have been hearing this week that I am beleaguered or under fire but nobody connected with the club is talking that way.

"I have been out meeting fans at Fraserburgh and Inverurie recently and no one has talked in terms of me being under pressure.

"There's no way that I feel I am in that situation but I do take responsibility for the football club and the position we are in at the moment but I don't feel beleaguered.

"Of course the blunt fact is we are at the bottom of the league, that's not good enough and you have to be accountable for it.

"On the evidence of our draw with St Johnstone on the opening day of the season you would be hard pushed to think they would be fourth and we would be bottom at this stage. What I do feel is acute responsibility to get this club where it should be as the fans don't deserve to be where we are as they have given a good response to the team.

"The chairman deserves better as well because I hear people saying he should get his money out but Stewart Milne has spent a fortune on the club.

"Things were tough in terms of results when we took over at Motherwell and when we first came here and we changed that in a positive way.

"There's no reason why we can't do that again with the squad of players that we have at Aberdeen and the games we have coming up.

"You don't become bad at your job overnight."

Brown intends turning his anniversary into a week long celebration with wins at home to St Mirren and Hibs on the next two Saturdays and victory at Perth on Tuesday.

That would certainly put the supporters in a more festive mood before Christmas but it's a tall order for a team who have won just three league matches all season.

They have managed just 17 goals in the SPL so far and seven of those have come in two matches against fellow strugglers Dunfermline.

However a bullish Brown believes the defeat at St Mirren Park earlier in the campaign is the only game his side have deserved to lose this season.

Now he wants victory against Danny Lennon's team at Pittodrie tomorrow to prove what a thin line there is between success and failure.

He added: "St Mirren beat us down there but if the result had been reversed we would have been just one point behind them and they have had a good season.

"That's how close the margins are in this league but that was our worst performance of the season and the only game I genuinely feel we deserved to lose. They played really good football against us that day and we were really out of sort that day so we have to be bang at it.

"We can't afford to be anything less if we are going to get the win because Danny Lennon has got them playing really well.

"It's the start of a big week for us. We have already played the top three in the second set of games and we can more than compete with the rest.

"Now we have to prove that and I am under no illusions that it's required for us to beat St Mirren here this weekend, St Johnstone in midweek and Hibs here next Saturday."