Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

"Aberdeen - One of Scotland's many tales of woe" - Guardian SPL Preview

ABERDEEN: Last season 9th. Prediction 5th

The decline of Aberdeen – shown in relatively dismal attendances at Pittodrie – is one of Scottish football's many tales of woe. Craig Brown has promised a stronger and more skilful approach from his players this term; the 71-year-old at least has the experience to know what should succeed at this level.

A fresh start awaits for Aberdeen as and when they move to a new, purpose-build stadium on the outskirts of the city. Expect Brown to oversee steady improvement on the field in the coming months.

Do you agree with the prediction?

He (Ewan Murray) also has United finishing 4th, which i don't expect this season, and Killie to be relegated which I think is a good shout.

fucking shite compared to the preview I did.

Last Season: 9th Prediction: 5th

In the past two years, Aberdeen fans have watched their club go from European qualification, to battling relegation, while attendances plummeted at the same rate as league position.

This summer saw the contracts of, Derek Young, Zander Diamond, Jamie Langfield, Mark Howard, Scotland international Chris Maguire, and Nigerian International Sone Aluko expire. As yet, Aluko has not found a club, Diamond moved to Oldham and Maguire left for Derby - though compensation received due to his young age has yet to be seen in Craig Brown’s transfer dealings.

Jamie Langfield signed a new one-year deal, then suffered a seizure that will keep him out of action for the first half of the season, resulting in Colombian keeper David Gonzalez joining on a six-month loan from Manchester City. Welsh keeper, Jason Brown, also signed up after leaving Blackburn Rovers this summer. Centre back Youl Mawene – whom Brown previously worked with at Preston North End – was the summer’s first signing.

Following this, midfielder Isaac Osborne and Icelandic international Kari Arnason joined. While these three are one-year contracts, former Don, Chris Clarke joined on a three-year deal. Returning from injury for the start of the season are Frazer Fyvie, Yoann Folly and testimonial-man Darren Mackie. Also returning from a year-long loan at arch-rivals, Rangers, is new club captain, Richard Foster, who was subjected to vile abuse from one or two moronic ‘fans’ on his first pre-season appearance against Borussia Mönchengladbach.

The team as things stand remains notably short in certain positions. Given the obvious lack of width, it appears likely that the formation will become 3-5-2, with Foster and perhaps, Robert Milsom, Ryan Jack or Clarke as wing-backs should no one more natural out wide be signed.

Josh Magennis, Michael Paton and Mackie will hope to be the second striker to Scott Vernon, though whether the creativity of Maguire (and occasionally Aluko) last season can be met by players already on the books is not clear.

Peter Pawlett in particular has shown encouraging form pre-season and himself, Jack and Fyvie are most certainly the young players providing Aberdeen’s long-suffering fans the infinitesimal optimism they have remaining for the future of their once great club.

http://www.beyondthepitch.net/articles/post/index.cfm/2011/07/21/scottish-premier-league-preview/

edit: I'm aware it doesn't mention Smith, McNamee or Vuja!!

Feel free to read the better version (and then peruse the other things on my blog) here: http://noiseandcolour.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/aberdeen-fc-spl-201112-season-preview/

:thumbsup:

Do you agree with the prediction?

He (Ewan Murray) also has United finishing 4th, which i don't expect this season, and Killie to be relegated which I think is a good shout.

God knows

Anywhere between 4th and 10th is possible, would probably expect and accept 5th or 6th as reasonable progress but there is very little between sides and our apparent strengths in more solid, combative back and middle may count in our favour yet our lack of fire power and creativity may cost us.

United won't be as good as the last few years but will be there or there abouts.

I tip Killie for relegation every year and then every year the confound expectations.

I think it could be another tough year for hibs and relegation between St M and Pars, hearts will finish 3rd and Rantic will win the league.

The rest, who knows?

I've not been as confident going into a new season since 2005. A couple of comparative transfer coups, a decent striker to come in on a permanent deal, Aluko's wages still on the table for him and probably some EPL loans come the end of August. 

There seems to be good vibes coming out of the dressing room. We'll be difficult to beat and the bulk of our results will be 1-0 0-0 or 0-1 but I reckon we'll be top four and not too distant from the OF at Christmas.

As long as the season league wise isnt a disaster as last season i'll be happy. Even it means finishing 8th with a higher points total then that will do for me. Top 6 is a realistic target, as per every season but as long as there is improvement i'll be happy.

And a cup wouldnt go a miss either

- Bottom half of the top 6 for us but whether that's  4th, 5th or 6th is anyone's guess

- Huns 3rd

- Hearts, Motherwell and Killmarnock others in top 6

- UTD in bottom 6

- St Mirren best of rest

- ICT or Dunfermline down