Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen struggling to agree terms with star striker Chris Maguire, admits WM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2011/01/11/aberdeen-struggling-to-agree-terms-with-star-striker-chris-maguire-admits-willie-miller-86908-22841351/

WILLIE MILLER admits Aberdeen are fighting a losing battle to hold on to rising star Chris Maguire.

The Pittodrie club are desperate to keep the striker who is out of contract at the end of this season.

But football director Miller revealed attempts to negotiate a new contract have failed so far.

Miller said: "We have been trying to get Chris around the negotiating table for the last 18 months but he has so far refused all our approaches.

"The fact we began the process so long ago shows how highly we rate and value him.

"We were showing faith in Chris long before this season and he has shown why we knew he'd become a top player.

"But I doubt if we could offer him good enough terms to stay."

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not be a complete disaster if (or when as it would appear) he leaves.  I think we're due approximately GBP 300-400K in development compensation.

Does anyone know, for certain, whether we're entitled to compensation if he move to England or Europe... or would we be relying on one of the Old Firm picking him up?

It might not be a complete disaster if (or when as it would appear) he leaves.  I think we're due approximately GBP 300-400K in development compensation.

Does anyone know, for certain, whether we're entitled to compensation if he move to England or Europe... or would we be relying on one of the Old Firm picking him up?

I was of the impression it was an EU thing now at least but when I looked around for anything confirming that, I couldn't find anything.

I was of the impression it was an EU thing now at least but when I looked around for anything confirming that, I couldn't find anything.

Would be good to get some sort of clarification.  I read a few unsubstantiated claims that should Maguire move to England, we won't be entitled to anything.  Surely that can't be the case though?  I thought all transfers within Europe were governed by UEFA directives?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/07/joe-ledley-cardiff-celtic

Found this.  It suggests FIFA rules relate to under 23s and cross-border transfers.  Therfore we'd be entitled to something if Maguire went to England, if that is correct.

Cheers for that!  if guardian have there facts straight, that would certainly suggest we're entitled to a development fee. 

A silver-lining at least....  300-400k goes a fair way at our level, in todays market!

We would be entiltled to more if we sold the cunt now and used the cash to fund a move for a player who did give a fuck about the club

I can't imagine we'd get anymore than the 300-400k "development fee" in transfer for a player with 6 months left?

Of course, there has to be someone willing to buy him!

Would agree with getting rid this month, especially if we can get Blackman in.

We would be entiltled to more if we sold the cunt now and used the cash to fund a move for a player who did give a fuck about the club

Where to start, where to start.  Firstly, a fee would need to be forthcoming just now, but as highlighted above, as long as we have offered a contract of equal or higher value to his previous, then we will be entitled to compensation, wherever he goes.

Secondly, who is this player who already has an existing "fuck" for the club?

Thirdly, whatever the situation is, he will be playing for either a contract or a move in the upcoming 6 months.  We should only be fucking him off if we get a fee in excess of the likely compensation we'd get.  If he was signing a pre-contract, I think we'd be able to negotiate a decent compensation package based on his potential and should be looking for an additional couple of £100k on top to release him in January.

14fosters. why even reply to Stoney's post about maguire?!

As long as we get a decent fee it's a win win. if he stays, he's finally coming onto a game so would be a good player to keep.

if he leaves, we get much needed cash for new players.

although I will miss reading the sexual tension between the lines on here in Stoney's posts if he does go.

Defo sounds like a "come and get him" plea from Miller to get folk interested now.

There is little on which to base an assumption on a tribunal fee, but given he has been a decent under-21 international and is likely to be a future Scottish international, I think it would be a substantial fee.  It is all based on potential after all. 

I'd be surprised if AFC let him go for anything below 500k in January.

He's only been half decent for the past 6 months, if that.  I'd make him a final offer and if he refuses then I'd drop the fucker from the squad and see how much interest he gets from not being in the shop window.

If he still goes then we get £300-400k development fee (if that's true) and it also sets a president to any other youth players that they still have a long way to go before the can start acting like prima donnas.

We made him, we should have the balls to break him.

He's only been half decent for the past 6 months, if that.  I'd make him a final offer and if he refuses then I'd drop the fucker from the squad and see how much interest he gets from not being in the shop window.

If he still goes then we get £300-400k development fee (if that's true) and it also sets a president to any other youth players that they still have a long way to go before the can start acting like prima donnas.

We made him, we should have the balls to break him.

That will have all the younsters lining up to sign contracts...  ::)

14fosters. why even reply to Stoney's post about maguire?!

As long as we get a decent fee it's a win win. if he stays, he's finally coming onto a game so would be a good player to keep.

if he leaves, we get much needed cash for new players.

although I will miss reading the sexual tension between the lines on here in Stoney's posts if he does go.

Defo sounds like a "come and get him" plea from Miller to get folk interested now.

Sends the wrong message to other players at the club, gives the impression that he can do as he pleases and treat the club how he pleases. At no other club in the league would this be accepted.

Hes one player and an average one at that, if we can get some money for him now and get players in who want to be here then that can only be a good thing.

Sends the wrong message to other players at the club, gives the impression that he can do as he pleases and treat the club how he pleases. At no other club in the league would this be accepted.

Hes one player and an average one at that, if we can get some money for him now and get players in who want to be here then that can only be a good thing.

That's fair enough I guess.

Although trying to teach any young player the importance of being loyal is waste of bloody effort these days.

I'd could see Rangers try getting him since they can't seem to afford Goodwillie, but being an avid tim, I'm not sure if he'd go there.

Conway and Gomis are both out of contract at the end of the season, and when fit play every game for United.  Kevin Kyle played plenty for Killie at the tail end of last year.  We have done it umpteen times with various players. 

Stop talking shite about other teams in the league not accepting this.

Personally, I think it would be best for his development if he stayed here for another year or 2 then move, and Miller should sell it as that.

The main thing though, is if Maguire wants to go, Brown should be allowed to pick him if he wants for the remainder of the season.  To think otherwise is idiotic...

Conway and Gomis are both out of contract at the end of the season, and when fit play every game for United.  Kevin Kyle played plenty for Killie at the tail end of last year.  We have done it umpteen times with various players. 

Stop talking shite about other teams in the league not accepting this.

Personally, I think it would be best for his development if he stayed here for another year or 2 then move, and Miller should sell it as that.

The main thing though, is if Maguire wants to go, Brown should be allowed to pick him if he wants for the remainder of the season.  To think otherwise is idiotic...

Both conway and gomis have said in the press they are happy to stay at united, Maguire has said nothing of the sort.

Kyle was stripped of his captaincy at killie

:wave:

Both conway and gomis have said in the press they are happy to stay at united, Maguire has said nothing of the sort.

Kyle was stripped of his captaincy at killie

:wave:

On the first point, the club have tried to tie them down on new contracts and they have rejected them as they want to move on.

Kyle was stripped of his captaincy for reasons other than not signing the contract as was well documented at the time.

Did you take such issue with McNaughton?