Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Maguire can be next Booth or Jess for Aberdeen FC

‘Maguire can be next Booth or Jess for Aberdeen FC’

Chris to hit heights, says Craig Brown

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 06/01/2011

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today tipped Chris Maguire to hit the same dizzy heights which Eoin Jess and Scott Booth reached in their playing days.

Brown believes rising star Maguire is one of the best talents to come through Aberdeen FC’s youth system since Jess and Booth burst on to the scene nearly 22 years ago.

He should know, because the former Scotland boss capped Jess and Booth at Under-21 and full international level.

No chance.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial reaction to this was to worry that potentially increasing Maguire's already substantial ego even more seems like a daft move. But on reflection maybe he is one of those players that needs a cuddle and a lot of reassurance to keep the confidence up. I suppose Broon is best placed to make that call.

+1

Been a wee bit better of late, attitude still a major question mark for me.

:o

I think there has been a general improvement in his attitude on the pitch from the off this season.  He seems to work hard in every game, though I think he still gets absorbed in how well he is doing at times over the team, resulting in moments of selfishness, or when it is not going well, daft reckless challenges.  If Brown manages to help him channel in to working for the team, which it appears so far he is doing, it can only be a good thing.

Looked like he always wanted the ball against Hamilton and tried to take his man on which basically not a single other player in the team seemed willing to do. I think he gets too much stick based on attitude problems when he was younger - lets give him a chance and see if he can start to fulfil a bit of potential under brown.

As for the positive comments from Brown, well he's not stupid, i'd guess he is paying the guy a public compliment and keeping him happy while the club try to persuade him to stay?

It all started at Killie, he played well there and for me he has mostly carried that on when he returned. McGhee gave him a bit of a run in the team which helped and I'm confident Brown will continue to improve bebo. As for being the next Booth or Jess, I don't think so but that doesn't mean he can't be a top player in this current Aberdeen team.

Is his contract up at the end of the season? If so I'd rather he stayed then left.

Maguire is still miles behind Goodwillie both in terms of application and delivery,I do not think he can improve much

I've seen nothing to make me think Goodwillie is better than Maguire and to suggest Maguire cannot improve is nonsense, particularly if your criticism is application and devilvery, probably 2 of the things that can most easily be rectified/improved. Its not as if he lacks footballing skill or confidence which would be much harder to try and suddenly bring out of a player. See Mackie.

I assume you've seen Goodwillie quite regularly and speak to Dundee Utd fans who see him every week? or is this based on the good things that we hear about him once every few months?

Kenny, what gives the impression that bebo has a big ego?  He's always seemed pretty level headed if you ask me.  Didn't see any braggy quotes fromhim after scoring from the hLf way line and that would have been fair enough if he had.  Brown is trying to show he has a lot of faith in his ability to give him extra imputes (spelling?)to sign a new deal.  He could respond really well to this sort of treatment

Maguire is still miles behind Goodwillie both in terms of application and delivery,I do not think he can improve much

Are you Stoney in disguise?

Seriously though, I reckon Brown knows what he's doing, and Erchie wasna bad at helping bring younger layers onto their top game. Agree he shouldn't be the "next" anyone, he should be the first Maguire!

I've seen nothing to make me think Goodwillie is better than Maguire and to suggest Maguire cannot improve is nonsense, particularly if your criticism is application and devilvery, probably 2 of the things that can most easily be rectified/improved. Its not as if he lacks footballing skill or confidence which would be much harder to try and suddenly bring out of a player. See Mackie.

I assume you've seen Goodwillie quite regularly and speak to Dundee Utd fans who see him every week? or is this based on the good things that we hear about him once every few months?

A simple check of comparative scoring records tell you all you need to know .  Also,Goodwillie has a nasty bastard streak, which I always think is a bonus if its harnessed. Maguire is a fairy , am sorry I just dont rate the lad

Maguire is too lightweight, on saturday he was really poor in the first half, pushed off the ball easily and pulling out of tackles, second half he was good, but still good to see he likes to try the 'Hollywood' option despite having a simple one on at the same times, his shot at the start of the second half on saturday was soo bad it was unreal.

This season he has turned in to a slightly better player, still miles off of being something special, however he clearly thinks he is the be all and end all of the team, he just gives off that impression which bugs me.

Maguire is a little ned, along the lines of Derek Riorden (but with less skill) - thinks he's better than he actually is.

he is absolutely nothing like as neddy as that riorden fuckwit. I'd say maguire's more of a muppet than a ned.

And he probably is better than goodwillie. Got more all round game.