Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

From the P&J yesterday ....

:

FORMER MANAGER SMITH: PITTODRIE CLUB CAN’T MOVE FORWARD UNTIL THE FINANCIAL SHACKLES ARE LIFTED

BY MICHAEL GANNON

Published: 19/05/2010

Progress at Pittodrie is a pipedream unless Aberdeen can find a way of removing the £9million millstone from around the club’s neck, according to former Dons manager Alex Smith.

The Falkirk assistant manager, who was a League and Scottish Cup winner and Premier Division runner-up during his four years at the helm at Pittodrie until 1992, is watching with interest the ramifications of former director Jim Cummings’s powerful challenge of the club’s board in the Press and Journal today.

Cummings, the Dons largest single shareholder, wants fresh investment and input into the club through a new share rights issue.

Smith believes the Dons need revitalisation but he insists the Reds need to free themselves from the financial shackles if they are to fulfil their potential.

He said: “Aberdeen will struggle to move forward while they are burdened with the debt.

“It is a noose around their neck. Aberdeen should be competing to bring the best players in the country to Pittodrie but, with the debt, they are unable to do so. They are competing in the same market as teams in the bottom six and when you do that, the chances are that is where you will end up. It is not for me to tell Stewart Milne what to do with his money, especially in the current climate. But it does seem to me the club needs to be revitalised.

“Aberdeen is a vibrant city, even during these difficult times, but the club seems to be stagnating, or even going backwards. There seems to be a malaise at the club and there needs to be some sort of injection.

“The Scottish Cup final must have made painful viewing for them on Saturday. Ross County took 20,000 supporters from the Highland, there were 30,000 from Tayside for Dundee United.

“Aberdeen could easily get those kinds of numbers and then some.

“The catchment area is huge in the north-east.

“I hope the business community in Aberdeen realises just how important a football club is to the entire wellbeing of the area.

“When the club was winning trophies in the 1980s the whole city was more upbeat.

“People went to their work happier and there was an entirely different atmosphere.

“There are a lot of wealthy people in the area, you can barely move for Chelsea Tractors in the town centre, and it would be interesting to see if any of them would be willing to put something back into the city.

“Aberdeen is in the enviable situation of being a one-club city. The potential is enormous but they are just drifting at the moment. It is all very well talking about a 25,000-seater stadium but there were only 6,000 at the last game of the season.”

Smith is convinced the current climate in the SPL is ripe for a challenge of the superiority of the Old Firm. Champions Rangers are in financial dire straits, while Celtic are facing constraints after failing to win back the title.

Smith believes a club of Aberdeen’s stature should be aiming higher than just a top-six finish.

He said: “It is almost like the situation we witnessed in the early 1980s when the Old Firm were vulnerable.

“They have over-extended themselves in the last decade and the environment is ripe for another club, or clubs, to challenge them again. Dundee United and Hibs showed promise for long spells of the season before it went awry towards the end.

“The Old Firm are not going to be as dominant as they were and Aberdeen should be one of the clubs ready to capitalise.

“Aberdeen are a massive club and people should not be dampening expectations.

“There are some clubs who have unrealistic expectations but Aberdeen is not one of them. Finishing sixth is at least four places lower than they should be aiming for.”

“There are some clubs who have unrealistic expectations but Aberdeen is not one of them. Finishing sixth is at least four places lower than they should be aiming for.”

This is the truth and I've said it for years.  Just a shame no one at Pittodrie seems to agree or care.

There has to be someone from the UAE thats rich enough and probably a bit stupid aswell that wants a toy football club.

But for the media pressure to Milne, it must be something to do with this city square thing. If he is willing to throw money at that why cant he throw the money into shifting some of the debt?

Guest rocket debris

There has to be someone from the UAE thats rich enough and probably a bit stupid aswell that wants a toy football club.

But for the media pressure to Milne, it must be something to do with this city square thing. If he is willing to throw money at that why cant he throw the money into shifting some of the debt?

What did I miss? Or are you fabricating? Or mistaken?

Are you seriously asking that?  ??? ???

one situation will see him potentially make money

one situation will see him lose money.

which do you think is which?

Guest rocket debris

Are you seriously asking that?  ??? ???

one situation will see him potentially make money

one situation will see him lose money.

which do you think is which?

What the fuck have I missed? Milne was never putting money in to UTG to my knowledge? How would he make money out of it if he was?

What the fuck have I missed? Milne was never putting money in to UTG to my knowledge? How would he make money out of it if he was?

Are you some sort of Weegie or something?

Try and keep an interest in local North East issues would you.