Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

14-Team SPL

The Scottish Premier League could be set to increase to 14 clubs from season 2011-12, with relegation play-offs also featuring in the new set-up.

A senior Scottish football figure has told BBC Scotland that the current 12-club set-up could be replaced.

The new format would see all clubs play each other twice and split after 26 games into a top six and bottom eight.

After the split, clubs in the top six and the bottom eight would then play each other twice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8653062.stm

WTF The Fuck

Imagine being 7th by only a point or two after 26 games and having your season finished in Feburary.

Increasing the amount of teams in the SPL is something I'd like to see but this way is just as retarded as the current setup.

It's like they're over thinking how to solve the problem.

I like the idea of restructuring the league cup to give more games and more interest and making the league a straightforward 16 teamer. There would be a financial hit but surely a league that has such a pathetic reputation is losing money on potential sponsorship already.

The professional era fucked scottish rugby and the effect on scottish football has only been delayed but it's inevitible. The sooner we can adapt and learn to run within our means the better.

As I said in the other thread, having a league set up where 8 clubs play 2 more matches than the 6 others is just fucking farcical. The people who "run" the game can all fuck right off.

One spasticated idea after another with that shower.  They're supposed to be there for the good of the game, to be accomplished strategists, planners etc.  Accomplished morons more like.

• 5 months later...

BBC reporting that all 12 clubs have people at Hampden today and top of the agenda is league reconstruction, with this 14-team pile of pish the favoured option.

I'm on the edge of calling it a day with Aberdeen games. If we go into a season with the potential for it to be over by Feburary (i.e we're in the bottom 6/8) then that will confirm my non-renewal of my season ticket.

What a stupid, stupid idea.  We really shouldn't be surprised at all.

The enormous financial gap between the SPL and the first division is what is strangling the game.  The fear factor of relegation at a time when most SPL teams are financially on the brink will actually be increased if two teams are to be relegated.  The current set-up is in crisis mode, and no amount of hare-brained pandering to the Old Firm with splits etc will change that.

This can be eradicated by bringing all the full-time teams in Scotland into one division, and let the part-time teams play in regional leagues below, their days in the sun against the big teams coming via the cups.  Not SPL1/SPL2, just SPL with 16/18/20/22 teams.  Bring in all of the clubs who could reasonably fill a 6,000 stadium on occasion (as the current stadia criteria dictates). No promotion or relegation to the SPL while teams can concentrate on getting the grass roots sorted, without the spectre of financial meltdown over their shoulder.

Neil Doncaster - meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

The league is pretty much fucked when everything is done to make sure the ugly sisters play eachother 4 times a season in what is possibly the pishest derby game that exists.

On the plus side though, a 14 team SPL next season means McGhee might actually manage to avoid relegation.

What a stupid, stupid idea.  We really shouldn't be surprised at all.

The enormous financial gap between the SPL and the first division is what is strangling the game.  The fear factor of relegation at a time when most SPL teams are financially on the brink will actually be increased if two teams are to be relegated.  The current set-up is in crisis mode, and no amount of hare-brained pandering to the Old Firm with splits etc will change that.

This can be eradicated by bringing all the full-time teams in Scotland into one division, and let the part-time teams play in regional leagues below, their days in the sun against the big teams coming via the cups.  Not SPL1/SPL2, just SPL with 16/18/20/22 teams.  Bring in all of the clubs who could reasonably fill a 6,000 stadium on occasion (as the current stadia criteria dictates). No promotion or relegation to the SPL while teams can concentrate on getting the grass roots sorted, without the spectre of financial meltdown over their shoulder.

Neil Doncaster - meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

Agree to point but would crowds at the lower division grounds and lower end of the SPL not decrease as there is nothing to play for?

Agree to point but would crowds at the lower division grounds and lower end of the SPL not decrease as there is nothing to play for?

Possibly, but I think I can see Bloo_toon's reasoning. Teams may actually try to play football because the fear of relegation has been taken away. But then again, you run the risk of come Jan/Feb, when it is clear they are not going to win the league, people stop going etc....

Personally, I think we need two leagues in Scotland, much like they have it in Holland. An 18 team league with 2 being relegated (the second being decided via a play off).

I don't know why I'm surprised by today's statement, it is what we should expect from these money driven scum bags.

If we make the league bigger then I think postions 2-5 should go into a mini playoff for the CL spot like Holland.

I wouldn't mind something like that, it may be 'unfair' but it would be more exciting and would get more people interested in going to games.

I think the split is an awful idea, and increasing the league to 14 teams isn't enough personally. I wouldn't actually mind seeing the whole thing reconstructed to create a finals system to decide who wins the league. Would never happen, and I could imagine it being unpopular, but it's the only thing I can think of which would actually make the league exciting for most teams.

A 14 team league especially one with a top 6 bottom 8 split would be a disaster, really don't see the attraction of a league with some teams playing more than others.

Modelling it on the dutch leagues could work though, i seem to remember there being some exciting run ins over the past few years in dutch football.