Author Topic: GRAND NATIONAL  (Read 12083 times)

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
Re: GRAND NATIONAL
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
Went for single on comply or die, each way on ballabriggs, don't push it, West end rocker and grand slam hero.

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -16
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
1. Ballabriggs (Jason Maguire) 14-1
2. Oscar Time (Sam Waley-Cohen) 14-1
3. Don't Push It (Tony McCoy) 9-1
4. State Of Play (Paul Moloney) 28-1
5. Niche Market (Harry Skelton) 16-1

Offline Edinburghdon

• Captain
  • Rating: -12
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
Got Ballabriggs in the works sweepstakes and stuck a couple of quid on it to win, had £1 e/w on state of play as well so all in all i'm delighted!  :dance:

Just need tomorrows football coupon to come in and McIlroy to win the masters to round off a good weekends gambling!

Offline RDU_64

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 25
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Put £5 on Ballabriggs to win at 14/1. Happy days!  ;D
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 03:39:11 AM »
Put £5 on Ballabriggs to win at 14/1. Happy days!  ;D

nice one, my each way worked out quite nicely and all. Just wish id had the courage to put a proper bet on bellabriggs. Ach well, a wins a win :)

Offline Harcus

• Captain
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 09:03:19 AM »
£10 on Ballabrigs at 14s and £50 out of the works sweeper. Cracker.

Offline jmo

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
nice one, my each way worked out quite nicely and all. Just wish id had the courage to put a proper bet on bellabriggs. Ach well, a wins a win :)

Well you won more than me. I put £2 on Ballabriggs to win. I'm still pleased with that though as I know nothing about gambling or horse racing and only went for Ballabriggs through pure blind luck.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 114
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 11:14:25 AM »
For the life of me I cannot understand horse racing. It almost seems cruel to me (which is an argument strengthened by the death of two participants at the weekend) and a certainly will never have any sort of care factor for horse racing.

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
For the life of me I cannot understand horse racing. It almost seems cruel to me (which is an argument strengthened by the death of two participants at the weekend) and a certainly will never have any sort of care factor for horse racing.

I never had any great affinity for it until I went to Ayr Races and it's fantastic "close up", you really begin to appreciate the speed and skill involved. They are fantastic creatures and it is a great shame that two died on Saturday (a jockey is in a very serious condition too apparently), but I would say that if the horses didn't want to race due to any cruelness then they just wouldn't race as they are far more powerful than the little guy or girl sitting on their back. A point perhaps shown by how many continue to race when their jockey has been unseated.

However, I think it is maybe time for them to look at the height of some of the jumps at the National and bring them down a bit.
It's not about escaping. It's about getting out with a bit of dignity.
If you're in it, don't fucking moan about it, make it yours and leave a mark

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 04:52:04 PM »
1. Pick Horse
2. Place bet on where horse will finish race
3. And they're off!

I kent someone would pop up with a post like that!

I never had any great affinity for it until I went to Ayr Races and it's fantastic "close up", you really begin to appreciate the speed and skill involved. They are fantastic creatures and it is a great shame that two died on Saturday (a jockey is in a very serious condition too apparently), but I would say that if the horses didn't want to race due to any cruelness then they just wouldn't race as they are far more powerful than the little guy or girl sitting on their back. A point perhaps shown by how many continue to race when their jockey has been unseated.

However, I think it is maybe time for them to look at the height of some of the jumps at the National and bring them down a bit.

Aye I heard about the jockey too after I heard about the horses. In all honesty I have less sympathy for the jockey because they can appreciate and evaluate the risks. The horses are given less of a choice. I agree they're fantistic creatures. They've put up with so much shit from all man kind! From charging on the front line in conflicts to getting whipped relentlessly in races. Perhaps you're right, though, and I would appreciate it more if I'd seen it close up.

I completely agree with reducing the hight of the fences and I also think there should be harsher penalties for "excessive use of the whip".

Offline RDU_64

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
I completely agree with reducing the hight of the fences and I also think there should be harsher penalties for "excessive use of the whip".

Is this rule not already in place?

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/horse/ALL/598/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:07:21 PM by RDU_64 »

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
  • Rating: 27
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
This ^^^^^
“Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?”

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 09:32:54 AM »
Is this rule not already in place?

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/horse/ALL/598/

Err.. aye. I know it is but we need harsher penalties for jockeys found guilty of it. Instead of a few days that they sometimes get make it a few weeks or more.

Offline CtS

• Captain
  • Rating: 116
  • In like Flynn.
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »
Fucking hell Tyrant, you're a right Nag.
<< Be young, have fun, taste Christian. >>

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »
Fucking hell Tyrant, you're a right Nag.

Well if the shoe fits I'll wear it.

Offline RDU_64

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »
The sight of two dead horses under tarpaulin covers was not so unfamiliar and when jockey Peter Toole was rushed to hospital with life-threatening head injuries it was another reminder that the collateral damage of a race like the Grand National can be both severe and unavoidable.

However, the racing industry must grasp that if most inhabitants of the real world understand that you cannot have something so filled with courage and straining athleticism, both equine and human, without a considerable measure of risk, a decreasing number are inclined to shut their eyes to what was surely the most disquieting aspect of the victory of Ballabriggs. It was the systematic whipping of the naturally heroic 10-year-old winner.

This is not a phrase conjured up by some impassioned animal rights protester. It is the verdict of the stewards who examined the performance of the triumphant jockey, Jason Maguire. They banned him for five days, a decision which, when set down amid the glory of his victory, was not so much ironic as a raging paradox.

The stewards said Maguire's use of his whip was excessive, a ruling which leapt beyond its usual implications when you remembered that the jockey slid from his mount in the moment of triumph and that the training staff's efforts to fight severe dehydration and exhaustion began in an unprecedented frenzy.

One conclusion was impossible to swerve. It was that Ballabriggs had been driven dangerously near to the point of collapse. It is a routine way of racing and students of the whipping debate will recall readily enough that when Maguire's brilliant uncle, Adrian, won the 1993 King George VI Chase in a desperate finish he too was suspended for using the whip too freely. The winner's trainer, David Nicholson, was indignant, saying: "It was an epic race and neither horse was under pressure until after the last. My horse has not been marked."

The issue is not the degree of incriminating evidence. It is the real purpose of the whip. Racing says, quite disingenuously, that primarily it is a directional guidance, a sort of equine version of satnav which is also equipped to deliver a timely whack to an inattentive driver. Reality – as former trainer Charlie Brooks recently pointed out in a bracing argument for the complete banning of the whip – is that the reason for its existence is precisely the one exploited by Maguire on Saturday. It is to dredge up the last physical reserves of a horse that has come under pressure, or, put another way, gone beyond the best that it has.

Unsurprisingly, Sir Peter O'Sullevan, a leading supporter of horse charities across the world, belongs to the Brooks school of reasoning. O'Sullevan talks passionately of the thoroughbred's love of racing and here recently recalled how disconsolate his beloved Attivo became when he was finally put out to pasture. Naturally, he sees the contradiction in the picture of a great horse doing what comes to it so naturally right up the point where the whipping ensues. When, this is, the need to win dwarfs all others.

Racing cannot have it both ways. It cannot claim to be merely providing the means for thoroughbred expression while throwing in a hurtful device just to make sure.

When the great Lester Piggott was banned for stealing, in mid-race, the whip of his rival Geoff Lewis he was bemused. The Long Fella didn't see the problem, saying: "He was never going to win." Now, perhaps as never before, racing has to take a rather broader view.

Offline RDU_64

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »
Well if the shoe fits I'll wear it.

Stop horsing around. Keeping this thread away from the puns is mane thing.

Offline CtS

• Captain
  • Rating: 116
  • In like Flynn.
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
The sight of two dead horses under tarpaulin covers was not so unfamiliar and when jockey Peter Toole was rushed to hospital with life-threatening head injuries it was another reminder that the collateral damage of a race like the Grand National can be both severe and unavoidable.

The Jockey wasn't injured in the Grand National.
<< Be young, have fun, taste Christian. >>

Offline hebrew

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 40
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »
My daughters watched the race with me for the first time and were really upset when the horses died - oddly enough it didn't seem to bother them a few years ago when we were at the racing in Musselburgh and a horse broke it's neck right in front of us  :o

Offline scotfree

• Administrator
  • Rating: 27
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »
These hippy fuckers tuck into their battery chickens and bacon from pigs reared in 5ft by 3ft cages - and then have the cheek to come on here greetin their dreaklocked heids aboot a horse getting a skelpit erse...  ::)
I don't eat Pig or battery reared Chicken.
Ohh and i don't have Dreadlocks.  :wave:
“Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?”