Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

MM comments ....

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee has revealed he was spat at by some angry Dons fans after the Scottish Cup defeat by Raith Rovers at Pittodrie.

McGhee described the 1-0 loss to the First Division club as the "worst result of my managerial career".

"There was heckling, which you expect; some spitting. I've never experienced anything like that," he told BBC Scotland afterwards.

"Raith were thoroughly deserving of their result."

The Dons forced a replay 10 days ago after firing a late equaliser at Stark's Park, but Gregory Tade's 58th-minute strike was enough to send Raith through on Tuesday.

"Raith battled for every ball and won every header," McGhee said.

"There's no doubt about it, it's the worst result of my managerial career, and that's no disrespect to Raith Rovers.

"We didn't compete for the first ball and never won a header. On a night like this, on a pitch like this we had to at least win the battle and we never won that.

"Raith won the battle and got the breakthrough with the goal. We're out the cup and I'm embarrassed, humiliated. Walking down the track there I'm getting people throwing stuff at me."

The Dons had earned plaudits last weekend after battling back to draw 4-4 with Celtic in a scintillating Scottish Premier League clash at the same venue.

But the emotions among the home supporters could not have been more different after the full-time whistle signalled the end of Aberdeen's Scottish Cup hopes.

"I've told the players I think they should be ashamed that they're capable of the sort of performance that they displayed on Saturday (against Celtic) - the battling qualities and the effort, commitment - and to come here tonight and not reproduce that, in a game as important as this, is just scandalous," McGhee added.

The Dons boss said none of his players were immune from criticism.

But he said the defeat would not affect his position at the club and that he was determined to prove a success at Pittodrie.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There's no doubt about it, it's the worst result of my managerial career, and that's no disrespect to Raith Rovers.

Well if he plans on staying at Aberdeen he better get used to "the worst result of [his] managerial career" coming along every few months... because that's how AFC rolls.

Raith was just the tip of the iceberg.

You wait till next season... there's a pretty good chance we'll get put out of both cups by teams a lot worse than Raith, Mark my boy. We have a track record. 

;D

There's no excuse for spitting at all, if that's true.

Fans have every right to be angry though.

fully agree with you there about spitting. It came from the Main Stand as well .... Dirty bastards, oops that where I normally sit.

On a more serious note, I hope the person (s) who did that feel a bit ashamed when they wake up tomorrow morning, but then again I hope the players do aswell.

fully agree with you there about spitting. It came from the Main Stand as well .... Dirty bastards, oops that where I normally sit.

On a more serious note, I hope the person (s) who did that feel a bit ashamed when they wake up tomorrow morning, but then again I hope the players do aswell.

If it was from anywhere else but the main stand it would be some legendary spitting. Anyway, McGhee is a victim tonight, poor lad. Deflect deflect etc.

He sounded completely gutted........

his post match interview, makes me even more confident, hes gonna sort us out!......the problems been here for years, lets give him more than 6 months to sort it!

Christ, how are things in delusional-land? What in fucks name makes you confident McGhee will sort anything out with no money?

Mark McGhee described the result as the worst of his managerial career.

He said: "Raith Rovers thoroughly deserved their victory and they were magnificent for their fans and their manager but this was the worst result in the 800 and odd games I have had as a manager.

"That walk from the dug-out to the tunnel was the most humiliating in my life. It was awful and I told the players they have set me up for that.'' McGhee said he did not want an investigation into the spitting incident and instead intends to use the experience as motivation.

McGhee said: "I don't know (who spat on me) - there was a couple and there were things getting thrown.

"A couple of scarves were thrown and bits of paper. I took my time walking down as I felt the fans deserved an opportunity to vent their anger at me.

"I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm going to use it as an incentive.

"I don't want enquiries into who spat or threw bits of paper. We deserved it and I had a part to play. I'm not innocent just because I wasn't out there playing.''

McGhee admitted his side deserved to lose to the Stark's Park side.

He added: "We were out-played, out-battled and out-fought in every position and on every occasion by a team that thoroughly deserved to beat us.

"This has happened before and it is nothing to do with a weight of expectation or jinxes. It is to do with the mentality of the players - there is something there that is not right.

"I have known since I got here that there was a lot of change needed and this result reinforces that for me, both in terms of change that is needed to the mentality and the squad.''

Mark McGhee described the result as the worst of his managerial career.

He said: "Raith Rovers thoroughly deserved their victory and they were magnificent for their fans and their manager but this was the worst result in the 800 and odd games I have had as a manager.

"That walk from the dug-out to the tunnel was the most humiliating in my life. It was awful and I told the players they have set me up for that.'' McGhee said he did not want an investigation into the spitting incident and instead intends to use the experience as motivation.

McGhee said: "I don't know (who spat on me) - there was a couple and there were things getting thrown.

"A couple of scarves were thrown and bits of paper. I took my time walking down as I felt the fans deserved an opportunity to vent their anger at me.

"I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm going to use it as an incentive.

"I don't want enquiries into who spat or threw bits of paper. We deserved it and I had a part to play. I'm not innocent just because I wasn't out there playing.''

McGhee admitted his side deserved to lose to the Stark's Park side.

He added: "We were out-played, out-battled and out-fought in every position and on every occasion by a team that thoroughly deserved to beat us.

"This has happened before and it is nothing to do with a weight of expectation or jinxes. It is to do with the mentality of the players - there is something there that is not right.

"I have known since I got here that there was a lot of change needed and this result reinforces that for me, both in terms of change that is needed to the mentality and the squad.''

Im pretty sure he said at not on to the BBC. I wouldn't waste my saliva on him.

Most of his comments are the same ones made after both Sigma games and the Dundee game so are begining to wear a bit thin with me. If MM knew back in August and September about the lack of bottle and fight in the squad why did he not address this in January.