Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Bye Bye Tommy ....

I'd imagine so.

Money well spent though as he'll no longer be here.

Bye Tommy  :wave:

Terminate does seem quite strong though, normally they say mutual consent, parted company etc. Giving it's Wright there is a possibility he has been a naughty boy. 

Shame it just didn't work out.

Thought at the time some of the adulation directed at him prior to even pulling on the jersey in a game was completely over the top. Guess it was refelctive of just how badly our support wish for a goal scorer. Remember saying at the time he'd proved the square root of fuck all, and hoped this didn't backfire on us. Anyway, thanks for the two goals Tommy.

Farewell Tommy. I would say thanks for the memories, but all I remember is your two goals, your one red card, and the regular headline when the EE was short on news of "Wright out until Christmas"

Glad he's gone. That free's up a wage and a place in the squad for someone else ... hopefully McLean or Dobbie. If we sign either as a result of Tommy leaving, we'd have to get the champaigne oot.

Here u go ....

Woods Gets The Wright Man

Posted on: Thu 28 Jan 2010

ABERDEEN striker Tommy Wright has joined the Mariners on an 18 month deal.

The 25 year old joined the Dons in August 2008 after moving north of the border from Darlington.

Tommy started his career at home-town club Leicester City, where he made twenty-four appearances, mainly as a substitute after his breakthrough during the 2002/03 Season.

He spent two loan spells with Brentford the following season, he also spent time on loan to Blackpool before signing for Barnsley. Darlington then swooped for the forward during the January transfer window completing a loan deal and shortly afterwards he completed a permanent move to the Quakers.

His passion made him a hero with the Aberdeen fans. Sadly his 2008/09 Season was ruined by injury.

He scored his first senior goal for Aberdeen in a Scottish Cup match against East Fife. Shortly after, in early March 2009, he netted his first Scottish Premier League goal, the equaliser in a 1-1 draw with St. Mirren.

At one time one of the most promising strikers in England, he represented England U-20s at the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship.

http://www.sportgrimsby.co.uk/grimsbytown/TOMMY-WRIGHT-FEELING/article-1773272-detail/article.html

TOMMY Wright said he would not have signed for Grimsby Town if he had "any doubt" the club might be relegated this season.

The 25-year-old Leicester-born striker, who signed an 18-month contract yesterday, is convinced the Mariners have the quality to remain in the fourth tier of the Football League.

And together with the arrival of Charlton midfielder Dean Sinclair on loan until the end of the season, Wright is hoping he too can be one of the invaluable 'experienced' additions to the squad that Town boss Neil Woods has been so desperate to bring to Cleethorpes in the January transfer window.

He said: "I'm confident the club will stay up.

"If I had any doubt the club might be in the Conference next season I might have had a problem with the move.

"On paper I think the team looks in good shape, so I do think we will stay up.

"I'm delighted to be here.

"It's taken a few weeks to settle my contract with Aberdeen.

"But after a few chats with the manager and a few chats between the chairman and my agent, we've finally got there."

Wright spent five years at his hometown club Leicester between 2001 and 2006, and represented the England Under-20 team at the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship.

After loan spells at Brentford and Blackpool, he spent a year at Barnsley in the 2006/07 season, in which he also made six appearances on loan at Walsall.

He moved to Darlington the following season and scored 17 goals in 54 appearances.

And one of those goals was the winner in a 3-2 victory against Town at the Darlington Arena on March 15, 2008.

His next switch was across the border to Aberdeen for a fee of £75,000 in 2008, but injury problems meant his appearances for the Scottish Premier League club were limited.

Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee, who replaced former manager Jimmy Calderwood last summer, released Wright on Wednesday, enabling him to complete his switch to Town.

"I had a few injuries early in my career at Aberdeen and then there was the change in manager there in the summer and the new manager coming.

"That held me back a bit, but that's all behind me now.

A couple of weeks to settle his contract? I think it might've gone something like this:

Tommy: "Boss, I'm thinking of leaving"

Willie: "Okay, here's your leaving papers"

Tommy: "errr, boss ... that's not my name at the top. And I'm not the cleaner"

Willie: "You're not? Who are you then?"

Tommy: "I'm Tommy Wright"

Willie: "Who?"

Tommy: "Tommy Wright. I signed in 2008"

Willie: "Oh. Sorry. I've never seen what you look like, and I didn't realise you were still an Aberdeen player. I'm sorry to say I threw all yer paperwork out last year. Erm, it might take me a couple of weeks to fish yer contract out o' the bin tae wind things up"

Tommy: "Okay boss. Erm, would it be okay if I spoke to other clubs"

Willie: "Fuck aye! Go for yer life, min!!!"