Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Tevez cost Man City £47m

Zinedine Zidane, the player with the greatest touch of all time is worth only £200k more than Tevez, a player who had the touch of a rapist in his second season at Man Utd.

The football world has clearly gone mad.

Guest rocket debris

Not sure anyone would imagine Tevez and Zidane at anywhere near the same level when football history is written in the future. It would be too simplistic to point out the inflationary implications in the intervening decade plus, as would iterating basic market forces, any product or service "being worth" whatever someone pays for them.

I am staggered that City paid that much. He is an excellent footballer with great skill and amazing industry. This information reveals why he is no longer at Man U though. A wily SAF would never consider paying that much for that product. It has fuck all to do with Tevez "not being made to feel wanted".

As a seller, Fergie finds himself on the right side of the numbers once again. Even at £40m, this would be an extraordinary "valuation" of Tevez. Not far away for me but still high in the economic climate. But is Christiano Ronaldo worth twice Tevez?  Give it 5 or 10 years and football history may well show that Carlos was the more successful of the two.

In any event, the reason why I will be eating my hat in May will be because Man U will have won a major trophy that month. The reason they won't is that they are not good enough. Replacing players worth £127m with nothing, and they still got thrashed by Barca for the big prize, does not compute. The reason they are not good enough on the pitch may well be the continuing financial mismanagement of the club. Either SAF thought they were already good enough for 2009/10 or he wasn't given the funds. The revelations this week of a £6m operating profit, which includes an £80m credit from Real, suggests the latter.   

Guest rocket debris

Just read on Telegraph mobile that United were offered Tevez for £25.5m. They waited until the very last day of Tevez's contract before wanting to deal by which time it was too late. Massive fuck up by Fergie or the Glazers. Who the fuck do Man U think they are to be this disrespectful to any player and the negotiating process?

The £80m for bum bandit is the greater folly.

Just read on Telegraph mobile that United were offered Tevez for £25.5m. They waited until the very last day of Tevez's contract before wanting to deal by which time it was too late. Massive fuck up by Fergie or the Glazers. Who the fuck do Man U think they are to be this disrespectful to any player and the negotiating process?

The £80m for bum bandit is the greater folly.

By the same token, who the fuck does Tevez think he is by continually demanding in the press that he should have been in the first XI? That's demeaning to both his manager and his colleagues.  His performances when given a start in his second season did not merit his inclusion in the big matches nor did it merit the inflated transfer fee, especially considering United had already paid £10m for his services for those two seasons.

I would also imagine Ferguson made one offer to Tevez to show a certain section of United fans that he had tried to keep a guy who was a cult hero to them.  Had Fergie really wanted him, the deal would have been done well before the season finished. The fact is, he just didn't want him that much, and considering so few goals from Tevez in his second season, guessed he probably wouldn't miss him that much either.

Guest rocket debris

By the same token, who the fuck does Tevez think he is by continually demanding in the press that he should have been in the first XI? That's demeaning to both his manager and his colleagues.  His performances when given a start in his second season did not merit his inclusion in the big matches nor did it merit the inflated transfer fee, especially considering United had already paid £10m for his services for those two seasons.

I didn't see the continual demands from Tevez to which you refer but I think you fail to appreciate just how good he is and how valuable he might have been to Man U this season. Your touch of a rapist reference and dwelling on performances a long time ago suggest this. The £9m loan fees paid to his owners over the period are considerably less than market value but given that this was a contract United were happy to pay, I fail to see what relevance this previous agreement is to the negotiations at the end of 2008/09? You say that £25.5m is inflated. Not according to his manager who was willing to pay it. The United fans, not being privy to the financial terms at the time like the rest of us, also understood his value to the club and I'm sure you will remember their continual chants to get him signed. To move them sufficiently to take their prawn sandwiches out for long enough was no mean feat. His number of goals this season despite no pre-season and not being fully fit until the West Ham game on 28th September is further evidence that the fans were right, and SAF will be disappointed that this one got away. 

Guest rocket debris

I would also imagine Ferguson made one offer to Tevez to show a certain section of United fans that he had tried to keep a guy who was a cult hero to them.  Had Fergie really wanted him, the deal would have been done well before the season finished. The fact is, he just didn't want him that much, and considering so few goals from Tevez in his second season, guessed he probably wouldn't miss him that much either.

Conjecture or fact? Fergie is not in control. Fact. The Glazers are. Fact. Between them over CT, they fucked up. Opinion.

I didn't see the continual demands from Tevez to which you refer but I think you fail to appreciate just how good he is and how valuable he might have been to Man U this season. Your touch of a rapist reference and dwelling on performances a long time ago suggest this. The £9m loan fees paid to his owners over the period are considerably less than market value but given that this was a contract United were happy to pay, I fail to see what relevance this previous agreement is to the negotiations at the end of 2008/09? You say that £25.5m is inflated. Not according to his manager who was willing to pay it. The United fans, not being privy to the financial terms at the time like the rest of us, also understood his value to the club and I'm sure you will remember their continual chants to get him signed. To move them sufficiently to take their prawn sandwiches out for long enough was no mean feat. His number of goals this season despite no pre-season and not being fully fit until the West Ham game on 28th September is further evidence that the fans were right, and SAF will be disappointed that this one got away.

Need to agree to disagree then. I'm sure it has not escaped your attention but United already have a striker with a similar style to Tevez only he is a lot better at it than Tevez.  It's no coincidence last season that Tevez did his best work with Berbatov beside him (even then it was fleeting). If it comes down to a choice of Rooney and Berbatov or Tevez and Berbatov you know who Ferguson would pick 100 times out of  100.

I'm also not dwelling on performances a long time ago. they were last season, which would have happened to be the performances that would have gone someway to making SAF's mind up for him so it is entirely relevant. 

He came back to "haunt" Fergie according to the media... he's not the first player to do that and he probably won't be the last.

he's a confidence player and he needs to play every week. That was never going to happen at Old Trafford and I think it was best for both parties that he moved on. Everyone knows Tevez is a good player but is Tevez a great player? No.

Guest rocket debris

Need to agree to disagree then. I'm sure it has not escaped your attention but United already have a striker with a similar style to Tevez only he is a lot better at it than Tevez.  It's no coincidence last season that Tevez did his best work with Berbatov beside him (even then it was fleeting). If it comes down to a choice of Rooney and Berbatov or Tevez and Berbatov you know who Ferguson would pick 100 times out of  100.

I'm also not dwelling on performances a long time ago. they were last season, which would have happened to be the performances that would have gone someway to making SAF's mind up for him so it is entirely relevant. 

He came back to "haunt" Fergie according to the media... he's not the first player to do that and he probably won't be the last.

he's a confidence player and he needs to play every week. That was never going to happen at Old Trafford and I think it was best for both parties that he moved on. Everyone knows Tevez is a good player but is Tevez a great player? No.

Fair enough, but in the bigger picture, do you agree that losing two players, one of which was the most expensive in world football history, two players that others put a £127m worth on and failing to replace them with anyone severely compromised their ability to win the EPL and CL this year?

I have no idea whether this failure was Glazer's or Fergie's but it doesn't compute to me, especially when the best team in Europe were getting stronger. It smacks of limited ambition and knowing SAF's history of competitiveness and fiery nature, I reckon it will be the owners who have compromised Man U's ability to stay at the top.

The press stuff about back to haunt them is ridiculously sensationalist with regard to Tevez at HT in the two leg semi final. I'm wondering that Beckham may be a more deserving case. AC are on fire since he returned there.

Fair enough, but in the bigger picture, do you agree that losing two players, one of which was the most expensive in world football history, two players that others put a £127m worth on and failing to replace them with anyone severely compromised their ability to win the EPL and CL this year?

I have no idea whether this failure was Glazer's or Fergie's but it doesn't compute to me, especially when the best team in Europe were getting stronger. It smacks of limited ambition and knowing SAF's history of competitiveness and fiery nature, I reckon it will be the owners who have compromised Man U's ability to stay at the top.

The press stuff about back to haunt them is ridiculously sensationalist with regard to Tevez at HT in the two leg semi final. I'm wondering that Beckham may be a more deserving case. AC are on fire since he returned there.

Totally agree with you. I thought Ferguson would have tried something different with his tactics to soften the blow with losing Ronaldo, in particular, in the same way he changed things round after Roy Keane left.  Maybe he's in the process of doing this or maybe he's just hamstrung by the financial situation.

For United to win the league, they need three things to happen I reckon:

Vidic back, fully fit.

Revert to 4-4-2 for every match bar away ties in Europe.

And, get an experienced goalscorer in to take the pressure off Rooney.  I'd personally like to see them re-sign either van Nistelrooy or Louis Saha for the rest of the season.  Both played particularly well with Rooney in their time at OT.

And, get an experienced goalscorer in to take the pressure off Rooney.  I'd personally like to see them re-sign either van Nistelrooy or Louis Saha for the rest of the season.  Both played particularly well with Rooney in their time at OT.

Wasn't this the idea behind signing Owen though? A plan which hasn't really bore the fruit that some expected.

A mate of mine (a United fan) reckons the lad Mame Diouf is the one to step up to the plate, haven't seen in him action yet though so I'm not sure whether this is the answer, long or short term.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

They should have went ahead with the substitution whether he wanted to play or not.  Holding up the subs board whilst he was sitting there arms folded would have shown him up for the huffy wee bairn that he is.

I hope nobody touches the rat with a bargepole.  Just a shame he's already made enough to sit back and rest on his laurels.

They should have went ahead with the substitution whether he wanted to play or not.  Holding up the subs board whilst he was sitting there arms folded would have shown him up for the huffy wee bairn that he is.

I hope nobody touches the rat with a bargepole.  Just a shame he's already made enough to sit back and rest on his laurels.

perhaps he hasnt though? Could be one of those muppets who spends every penny he gets as soon as he gets it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15093522

Irish League club Limavady United have offered Manchester City superstar Carlos Tevez an escape route from his troubles with the Premier League club.

The County Londonderry team's vice-chairman David Brewster faxed City on Wednesday afternoon offering to take the multi-million pound striker on loan for the rest of the season.

It follows City manager Roberto Mancini's vow that Tevez would never play for him again after the Argentina international failed to come on as a substitute against Bayern Munich in a Uefa Champions League game on Tuesday night.

Limavady United play in the second tier of Northern Ireland football, with opponents including Harland and Wolff Welders and Ballinamallard FC.

Mr Brewster said the club would be willing to take Tevez on loan and keep him fit, if City agreed to continue to pay his wages.

"Pursuant to the well publicised comments of your manager yesterday evening to the effect that Carlos Tevez would not be permitted to play for your club again, may I on behalf of Limavady United FC indicate our willingness to assist you with a difficult problem," his statement said.

"We would be perfectly willing to take Mr Tevez on loan for the remainder of the season or until transfer, thereby permitting him to play football but without the risk of being cup-tied for the Champions League.

"Limavady United play in the championship in Northern Ireland and our manager would be happy to accommodate Mr Tevez within his squad.

"Naturally, our club would not be in a position to discharge Mr Tevez's wages but I am sure you can see the advantages of keeping him match fit prior to any possible sale."

The offer has yet to receive a response from Manchester City.

The BBC has learned Tevez feels his row with boss Roberto Mancini was about warming up and not a refusal to play.

The 27-year-old felt he was ready to play when asked to prepare to come on in the second half of the 2-0 defeat.

Tevez blamed "confusion on the bench" for the "misunderstanding" in a statement on Wednesday.

In his statement, Mr Brewster said he looked forward to Manchester City's "early reply to permit us to complete the necessary paperwork with the Irish Football Association if the matter is to proceed".

Well that's a bit of a non-story. At least it got that shitty Northern Irish team's name in the papers.

Even if Tevez did say no to warming up and not going on he's still fucked. You fucking do what you're fucking told by your fucking manager. If you think you've warmed up enough tough fucking shit. Go and warm up again.

If this had happened at Man Utd (which it wouldn't have) Tevez would have been sacked by now.