Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Holy Mother of Jesus: AWPR Approved

glasgow sheep

Although I dare say we will be waiting another 10yrs for them to actually build the fucker:

Aberdeen bypass given green light

The controversial Aberdeen bypass has been approved by ministers.

The Scottish government has given the project the go-ahead after considering the findings of a local inquiry. Industry figures welcomed the decision on the £295m-£395m project, which is aimed at easing traffic and improving business in the north east.  But opponents have criticised the cost and the environmental impact of the 28-mile bypass. Campaign group Road Sense said it would take legal advice. 

The planned bypass is aimed at providing a fast link between towns to the north, west and south of Aberdeen.  Subject to all the approvals being met, work could get under way in 2011. Finance Secretary John Swinney said: "This has been a complex issue in which there has been a wide range of issues to consider. "There has also been significant public interest in the proposed route, with clear arguments on both sides.

"Having given careful consideration to the issues and arguments, I agree with the reporters' findings and reasoning, and with their recommendation to proceed with the bypass."  He said the bypass was one of the most important infrastructure projects in the north east, bringing a range of substantial benefits to the region. Mr Swinney said it would reduce congestion in the heart of the city as well as remove thousands of vehicles from the area's rural roads.

Aberdeen North SNP MSP Brian Adam said it was the "best possible early Christmas present for residents and businesses in the north east".  Aberdeen Central Labour MSP Lewis Macdonald welcomed the decision, but called for assurances about project funding, no delays, and stressed the need for better rail and bus services. 

And West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine Lib Dem MSP Mike Rumbles said it was a "vital transport project".  Bob Collier, chief executive at Aberdeen and Grampian Chamber of Commerce, said: "Democracy has now run its course and we would ask any protest groups to think very carefully before taking any action that might delay this investment which has the full support of the vast majority of local businesses and residents."

Councillor Kevin Stewart, chairman of regional transport partnership Nestrans, described it as a "defining moment" for the local infrastructure. And Scottish Council for Development and Industry (SCDI) north east manager Ian Armstrong said it would "boost economic recovery and confidence". 

However, Road Sense spokeswoman Sheona Warnock said the group was extremely disappointed at the decision and expected there would be grounds for a legal challenge, including a judicial review. She predicted that would cause significant delays to the project. Friends of the Earth has joined Road Sense in claiming the building of the new road could mean Scotland failing to meet its climate change targets.  Scottish Green MSP Patrick Harvie said: "This Scottish government either doesn't understand climate change or doesn't care about it." And Transform Scotland said the project would do nothing to address the key traffic congestion issue in Aberdeen. 

The Scottish government said the country could hold its head high at having the most ambitious climate change legislation in the world, and having the determination to implement the targets.  Campaigners also recently criticised the £51m cost of moving the International School of Aberdeen to make way for the road.  A long-running public inquiry was held in Aberdeen last year. The Scottish Government said the probe was necessary because of the public response. Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8424142.stm

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positive news, but please excuse me if I hold off celebrating, just yet...

As for this:

Scottish Green MSP Patrick Harvie said: "This Scottish governmenteither doesn't understand climate change or doesn't care about it." AndTransform Scotland said the project would do nothing to address the keytraffic congestion issue in Aberdeen.

Utter dillusion. I'm willing to bet this Patrick Harvie has never stood on either King Street or Anderson Drive during rush hour. Toe to toe cars and articulated lorries full of fish going to and from Fraserburgh/Peterhead etc..

Not to mention that the public transport in Aberdeen just falls apart the second more than about 3 cars are on any one road. Get all the cars onto the bypass and there's a chance that a bus could get you from BOD to Union Street in under a fortnight.

Not to mention that Stadium they want to build just where the bypass meets the A90, which will be good news, as we all know 99.9% of Dons fans don't come from Aberdeen itself  ::)

I was amazed and bemused at the same time when I read that the bypass is going to be littered with traffic lights and roundabouts. What morons are responsible for planning this? It should be a national speed limit trunk road with flyovers and slip roads.

And it should be 3 lanes wide, not 2. Give it 20 years and it'll be like Anderson Drive is today. One lane with Asco lorries nose to tail and one lane where everyone's following the moron doing the same speed as the lorries but feels he has to be in the overtaking lane anyway.

If they're not going to do it properly, they would be better off spending the money improving the current road infrastructure by resurfacing roads instead of filling pot holes with loose gravel and wondering why they keep reappearing.

Any money left over can be spent on public transport, for example, introducing a shuttle train service that can use tracks that are already in place from Inverurie to Stonehaven with stops in places like Kintore, Blackburn, Dyce Airport, Stoneywood, Bucksburn, Woodside, Kittybrewster, Denburn, Aberdeen Station, Tullos/Torry, Altens, Cove, Portlethen, Newtonhill and Muchalls.

A lot of those places already have stations/platforms and the others just need a simple concrete platform and a set of stairs going down from street level. No houses need to be demolished, no schools or businesses need to be relocated and it can smash the monopoly the taxi drivers have on the airport. They can even use the spur that goes from Kittybrewster down to the beach too if they wanted to be even more ambitious.

It'll never happen, but as most of the infrastructure is already there and in use, why not?

I was amazed and bemused at the same time when I read that the bypass is going to be littered with traffic lights and roundabouts. What morons are responsible for planning this? It should be a national speed limit trunk road with flyovers and slip roads.

And it should be 3 lanes wide, not 2. Give it 20 years and it'll be like Anderson Drive is today. One lane with Asco lorries nose to tail and one lane where everyone's following the moron doing the same speed as the lorries but feels he has to be in the overtaking lane anyway.

Is that true?

What a complete fucking mess if so.

I was going to ask how they managed to build big motorways etc in the past but I suppose the the M77 and M74 link is an indication that we can still build a decent road when we want (although it did take 40 yrs to get round to finish the M74).

In a similar vein to the AWPR the current fucking shambles between Moodiesburn and Castle Carry is so that a terrible bit of road can be up graded. We'll ignore the fact that there have been roadworks on it constantly for the past 10yrs and concentrate on the fact that allegedly due to cost cutting they have decided not to make it a 3-lane stretch of M-way and instead just up grade to a 2 lane M-way...or add a hard shoulder in basic english.  Two years of misery on that road for fuck all :hammer:

Is that true?

What a complete fucking mess if so.

I was going to ask how they managed to build big motorways etc in the past but I suppose the the M77 and M74 link is an indication that we can still build a decent road when we want (although it did take 40 yrs to get round to finish the M74).

In a similar vein to the AWPR the current fucking shambles between Moodiesburn and Castle Carry is so that a terrible bit of road can be up graded. We'll ignore the fact that there have been roadworks on it constantly for the past 10yrs and concentrate on the fact that allegedly due to cost cutting they have decided not to make it a 3-lane stretch of M-way and instead just up grade to a 2 lane M-way...or add a hard shoulder in basic english.  Two years of misery on that road for fuck all :hammer:

If its not in the central belt then it doesnt need to be done properly. THiss NEEDS to be a proper  upgrade to a motorway or it just wont work.  If this is the case then Aberdeen as per usual when major ifrastructure projects are dished out get second best.  A petition needs to happen to get a REAL WPR which is both useful and safe. Edinburgh or Galsgow wouldnt tolerate second best.

If they're not going to do it properly, they would be better off spending the money improving the current road infrastructure by resurfacing roads instead of filling pot holes with loose gravel and wondering why they keep reappearing.

Any money left over can be spent on public transport, for example, introducing a shuttle train service that can use tracks that are already in place from Inverurie to Stonehaven with stops in places like Kintore, Blackburn, Dyce Airport, Stoneywood, Bucksburn, Woodside, Kittybrewster, Denburn, Aberdeen Station, Tullos/Torry, Altens, Cove, Portlethen, Newtonhill and Muchalls.

A lot of those places already have stations/platforms and the others just need a simple concrete platform and a set of stairs going down from street level. No houses need to be demolished, no schools or businesses need to be relocated and it can smash the monopoly the taxi drivers have on the airport. They can even use the spur that goes from Kittybrewster down to the beach too if they wanted to be even more ambitious.

It'll never happen, but as most of the infrastructure is already there and in use, why not?

Agree with you on the WPR.

As for your train idea, I like it, has alot of potential there. Although, try to keep up, there now is a railway link for Aberdeen Airport  :thumbsup:

Radical thinking there, Slim. That's thinking that in any other city or country would be heralded as sheer brilliance. But this is Aberdeen. Better get out of town before the guys with the pitch-forks chase you out.

Any money left over can be spent on public transport, for example, introducing a shuttle train service that can use tracks that are already in place from Inverurie to Stonehaven with stops in places like Kintore, Blackburn, Dyce Airport, Stoneywood, Bucksburn, Woodside, Kittybrewster, Denburn, Aberdeen Station, Tullos/Torry, Altens, Cove, Portlethen, Newtonhill and Muchalls.A lot of those places already have stations/platforms and the others just need a simple concrete platform and a set of stairs going down from street level. No houses need to be demolished, no schools or businesses need to be relocated and it can smash the monopoly the taxi drivers have on the airport. They can even use the spur that goes from Kittybrewster down to the beach too if they wanted to be even more ambitious.

Its a good idea... The Airport needs a rail link...Cost a good £15 to get the taxi there even when its quiet and for Dyce being the airport train station-its just no use being just as close to the terminal as the city centre.

• 3 weeks later...